[Semi OT] Language for Game Development talk

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 1 14:31:20 PDT 2014

Am 01.10.2014 23:03, schrieb po:

>> OOP style and AoS in general does cause cache unfriendly data access.
>> You can separate out your hot and cold data but at that point you're
>> not really programming in an OO style. He doesn't use RTTI, templates,
>> exceptions, etc. for different reasons than cache friendliness.
>
>   Modern C++ != OO style.
>
> I'd say modern C++ is more generic + functional than OO.
>
> He seems to think C++ is about programming in some sort of Java design
> pattern inspired way.

If he is stuck in the late 90's/early 2000's, yes.

>> At what point does he say it's difficult to code in a SoA style in
>> C++? He clearly states he sees no advantage to C++ over C.
>
> 1. He references Design patterns during his tirade against C++, who the
> hell uses design patterns in C++ these days?

Those architects, specially the CORBA ones, are nowadays doing J2EE and
WPF MVVM applications.

And the original design patterns were actually targeted at Smalltalk,
with C++ on the side as the language was started to get popular in the
industry.

> 2. He uses Ogre, a 15 year old terrible mess of a rendering engine,
> written in a nasty Java style, as an example of why C++ is bad

I never liked Ogre. A strange mix of OO with too much low level C like
stuff still.

At least when I looked at it a few years ago.

--
Paulo