[Semi OT] Language for Game Development talk

po via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 1 15:11:15 PDT 2014

>>  I don't know of any OOP in the STL, unless you mean the
>> 1980's stuff
>> like iostreams and the other shit most people avoid using, but
>> I don't
>> think this is considered part of the STL
>>

> Any use of a class instance is part of OOP.
>
> IOStreams, iterators, strings, containers, ranges, filesytem,
> networking, graphics, traits
>
> Being lazy, and counting its occurrences in comments and when
> used as
> instead of typename in templates as well
>
> /cygdrive/c/android-sdk/android-ndk/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/4.8/include
> $ grep -R class * | uniq | wc -c
> 15601
>
> STL is a name that stuck from the old days when it wasn't part
> of the language. Nowadays it is just the C++ standard library.
>
> --
> Paulo

  According to Stepanov STL author:

http://www.stlport.org/resources/StepanovUSA.html

"Yes. STL is not object oriented. I think that object
orientedness is almost as much of a hoax as Artificial
Intelligence. I have yet to see an interesting piece of code that
comes from these OO people."

  I'd agree with him, just using a class, because it is the
primary abstraction in C++, does not make your code OOP.