[Semi OT] Language for Game Development talk

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 1 23:26:02 PDT 2014

On 2 October 2014 01:17, po via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 October 2014 at 14:16:38 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>>
>> Max Klyga:
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9VCN6UkyQ
>>

>> A third talk (from another person) about related matters:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0ItVEVjHc
>>
>> He doesn't use RTTI, exceptions, multiple inheritance, STL, templates, and
>> lot of other C++ stuff. On the other hand he writes data-oriented code
>> manually, the compiler and language give him only very limited help, and the
>> code he writes looks twiddly and bug-prone. So why aren't they designing a
>> language without most of the C++ stuff they don't use, but with features
>> that help them write the data-oriented code they need?
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>

>  He (deliberately I'd guess)conflates cache friendly data structures and
> access patterns with his particular preference for a C style.
>
>  It is a fallacy that he presents as fact.

He uses C style as an aggressive reminder of what you're actually
trying to do at all times.

We actually did this in our own engine long before he started giving
lectures like this. One of the best ways to stop people doing insane
shit in C++ is to ban C++.
The engine dev's loved this commitment to C, but the game logic
programmers hated us ;)

There is a middle ground though...