RFC: moving forward with @nogc Phobos

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 2 04:41:13 PDT 2014

On 02/10/14 11:41, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:

> That would be better, but how do you deal with "bar(foo())" ? Context
> dependent instantiation is a semantic challenge when you also have
> overloading, but I guess you can get somewhere if you make whole program
> optimization mandatory and use a state-of-the-art constraint solver to
> handle the type system. Could lead you to NP-complete type resolution?
> But still doable (in most cases).

I haven't really thought how it could be implemented but I was hoping
that the caller could magically decide the allocation strategy instead
of the callee. It looks like Rust is doing something like that but I
haven't looked at it in detail.

--
/Jacob Carlborg