D Parsing (again)/ D grammar

Vladimir Kazanov via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 2 23:25:54 PDT 2014

On Friday, 3 October 2014 at 05:10:45 UTC, Philippe Sigaud via
Digitalmars-d wrote:

> Yes, Elkhound is interesting, their approach is nice. But It
> gave me
> the impression to be abandoned for a few years?

Don't know and don't care, really. All I know is that Scott sort
of managed to deal with the main generalized parser application
problems by avoiding them most of the time :)) May be a bad
sign... After all, most of modern parser generators or parser
combinators do not use GLRs, although they do sound interesting
in theory.

Something tells me one has to stress this word here: *theory* :-)

>> By now, I have read the original Tomita's GLR paper, Antlr
>> ALL(*) paper, a
>> few recent GLR papers, three papers on GLL and a few related
>> ones . It
>> took... A while. I sort of understand the idea, but still not
>> sure about the
>> details :-)
>
> ALL(*) is on my todo list. I tried to implement it in Spring,
> but got
> bogged down in the details. Even the white paper has some
> imprecisions
> when you really sit down and try to code it.
> I could have a look at ANTLR v4 source, but wanted to have a
> clean
> start, right from the white paper.
>
>> What's the name of the paper you read? "Modelling GLL Parser
>> Implementation"?
>
> Yes.

Scientists... "The algorithm is hard to implement... Okay, let's
invent an esoteric paper-only language to explain things to
people" :-)

Thanks a lot, by the way!

I've just skimmed through the code and the README... You did not
use the packed forest representation, did you..?