Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 3 11:17:48 PDT 2014

On Friday, 3 October 2014 at 18:00:58 UTC, Piotrek wrote:

> And as I can see it, all subsystems related to the "small
> failure" was shut down. But what is also important information
> was not clearly provided to the pilots:
>
> "Despite the fact that they were aware that altitude was
> declining rapidly, the pilots were unable to determine which
> instruments to trust: it may have appeared to them that all
> values were incoherent"
>
> "the cockpit lacked a clear display of the inconsistencies in
> airspeed readings identified by the flight computers;"

There's a similar issue with nuclear reactors, which is that
there are so many blinky lights and such that it can be
impossible to spot or prioritize problems in a failure scenario.
I know there have been articles written on revisions of user
interface design in reactors specifically to deal with this
issue, and I suspect the ideas are applicable to error handling
in general.