Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 4 01:45:56 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 4 October 2014 at 08:28:40 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 11:00 AM, Piotrek wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447
>>
>> I just pick some interesting statements (there are other
>> factors described as
>> well):
>
> The overriding failure in that accident was the pilot panicked
> and persistently did the wrong thing, the opposite of what
> every pilot is relentlessly trained to do.

One point that the report stressed: when the co-pilots pulled
back repeatedly the joystick to raise the plane, the second one
could not see that action, as the two joystick are not connected,
and they are not moving in sync in the airbus.

Basically, the info-path regarding the joystick between two
disconnected systems (the co-pilots) is cut in modern plane, so
it's more difficult to check if their "output" (push/pull/etc) is
coherent at the end.

That, in my opinion, was the biggest problem in that tragedy.
---
/Paolo