via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 4 07:00:02 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 4 October 2014 at 11:19:10 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 04/10/14 11:18, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> What you're doing is attempting to write a program with the
>> requirement that the
>> program cannot fail.
>> The only way to have super high uptime is to design the system
>> so that failure
>> is isolated, and the failed process can be quickly restarted
>> or replaced.
>> Ignoring bugs is not isolation, and hoping that bugs in one
>> thread doesn't
>> affected memory shared by other threads doesn't work.
>
> Right.  Which is why I'd like to move the discussion over to
> "How can we achieve this in D?"

I see two things that are in the way (aside from the obvious
things like non- at safe code): Casting away shared, and implicitly
shared immutable data. The former can be checked statically, but
the latter is harder to work around in the current language.