What are the worst parts of D?

Charles Hixson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 4 20:39:08 PDT 2014

On 09/20/2014 05:39 AM, Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> There was a recent video[1] by Jonathan Blow about what he would want
> in a programming language designed specifically for game development.
> Go, Rust, and D were mentioned and his reason for not wanting to use D
> is is that it is "too much like C++" although he does not really go
> into it much and it was a very small part of the video it still brings
> up some questions.
>
> What I am curious is what are the worst parts of D? What sort of
> things would be done differently if we could start over or if we were
> designing a D3? I am not asking to try and bash D but because it is
> helpful to know what's bad as well as good.
>
> I will start off...
> GC by default is a big sore point that everyone brings up
> "is" expressions are pretty wonky
> Libraries could definitely be split up better
>
> What do you think are the worst parts of D?
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9VCN6UkyQ

The worst part of D is the limited libraries.  This often causes me to
choose Python instead, I'm sure it often causes others to choose Java or
C++ or ...

Mind you, many of the libraries "sort of" exist, but they don't work
well.  This is a pity, because if there were, say, a decent wrapper for
SQLite then there would be many more uses.  (Yes, I know that the C
interface code is included...that's why I picked that particular example.)

OTOH, it's not clear how to solve this, outside of convincing more
people to spend time wrapping libraries.  But I'm not the right person,
because my prior attempts have ended up being half-hearted
failure....also I don't really like the D template syntax.  (For that
matter I'm dubious about the entire "template" approach, though many
people clearly find it reasonable.)