Deprecations: Any reason left for warning stage?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 5 01:43:29 PDT 2014

On Friday, September 26, 2014 23:12:47 Daniel Kozák via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> The only one and right solution is print warning message by default

This makes no sense now. Realistically, warning is more restrictive than
deprecation at this point, because -w makes warnings errors, and the
equivalent for deprecated is probably used much less (certainly, it's much
newer and therefore less likely to be used). So, step 2 to 3 is essentially
making things _less_ restrictive. And really, warnings have nothing to do with
deprecation. Using them made sense when there was no way to print deprecation
messages without having them be an error, but now that deprecation messages
are just messages normally and do not alter compilation at all, using warnings
for deprecation makes no sense at all.

- Jonathan M Davis