Program logic bugs vs input/environmental errors (checked exceptions)

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 5 14:50:33 PDT 2014

05-Oct-2014 20:18, Andrei Alexandrescu пишет:
> On 10/5/14, 8:56 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> I would like to have as specific exception type as possible. Also a nice
>> hierarchy of exception when catching a specific exception is not
>> interesting. Instead of just a FileException there could be
>> FileNotFoundException, PermissionDeniedExcepton and so on.
>
> Exceptions are all about centralized error handling. How, and how often,
> would you handle FileNotFoundException differently than
> PermissionDeniedException?

Seems like it should be possible to define multiple interfaces for
exceptions, and then catch by that (and/or combinations of such).

Each of interface would be interested in a particular property of
exception. Then catching by:

FileException with PermissionException

would mean OS-level permission viloated and it was during file access,

while

ProcessException with PermissionException would mean process
manipulation was forbiden, etc.

Of course, some code may be interested only in PermissionException side
of things, while other code may want to contain anything related to
files, and the catch-all-sensible-ones inside of the main function.

--
Dmitry Olshansky