Who pays for all this?

Shammah Chancellor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 5 19:28:29 PDT 2014

On 2014-10-05 03:33:36 +0000, Walter Bright said:

> We're not really limited by lack of funds, but more by lack of focussed
> effort. If anyone wants to contribute funds, probably the best use
> would be to add bug bounties for bugzilla issues that they find to be
> neglected. The bounties don't really compensate at professional rates,
> but they do work as a nice "thanks" to those who donate their valuable
> time.

I've placed a couple of anonymous bounties, but I personally think it's
a bad way to get directed focused effort.  A democracy of people trying
to get what they individually want done through small donations?

There are many languages which have grown more quickly than D (despite
being less interesting) because they have a foundation where people can
donate, or some company, which provides for the core developers.   I'm
not saying that having a non-profit will magically generate money, but
there are a few companies who use D out there who just might be willing
to donate non-trivial sums of money to further development if there was
a non-profit to see that the money was put to good use.

Just to name a few:

Python: https://www.python.org/psf-landing/
Node.JS:  http://www.joyent.com/
Perl: http://www.perlfoundation.org