Program logic bugs vs input/environmental errors (checked exceptions)

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 6 07:50:18 PDT 2014

On 10/6/14, 7:01 AM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 06:46:31AM -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 10/5/14, 11:39 PM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>>>
>>> It's obvious to me that one hierarchy is way to limiting for
>>> exceptions, simply because there could be many ways to categorize the
>>> same set of error conditions.
>>
>> Well put. -- Andrei
>
> What's the alternative, though? I can't think of any solution that
> (1) isn't far more complicated than the current state of things and
> (2) is easier to use.

I'm thinking a simple key-value store Variant[string] would accommodate
any state needed for differentiating among exception kinds whenever
that's necessary.

It's commonly accepted that the usability scope of OOP has gotten
significantly narrower since its heydays. However, surprisingly, the
larger community hasn't gotten to the point to scrutinize
object-oriented error handling, which as far as I can tell has never
delivered.

Andrei