What are the worst parts of D?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 6 08:22:17 PDT 2014

On Monday, 6 October 2014 at 15:13:59 UTC, Nicolas F. wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 September 2014 at 12:39:23 UTC, Tofu Ninja
> wrote:
>
>> What do you think are the worst parts of D?
>
> The fact that its community, when faced with the question "What
> do you think are the worst parts of D?", will readily have a 35
> page verbal fistfight over what the worst parts of D are.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that discussion is happening
> about such things, but I think it may be better to have it in a
> more structured manner in the future, and with a little less
> emotional investment.

Heh, I think such self-criticism by the community is great, for
example, I loved that I recently stumbled across this page on the
wiki:

http://wiki.dlang.org/Language_issues

How many other languages can boast such a page of problems on
their own wiki? :) Thanks to Vlad and Mike for writing it.

People in this thread are emotional because they care: I don't
think it's gone overboard given the real concerns they're
stating.  When the D community starts hiding its problems and
stops critiquing its own efforts, sometimes passionately if
that's what you truly feel, is when it starts going downhill.