What are the worst parts of D?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 6 09:58:13 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 09:39:44AM -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 10/6/14, 9:16 AM, eles wrote:
> >>>>>>

> >>To interpret my lack of time politically is really amusing. You guys
> >>have too much time on your hands :o).
> >
> >At least give such an explanation from time to time. Silence is the
> >worst.
>
> Wait, are we too active in the forums or too silent? -- Andrei

It would be *very* nice if once in a while (say once a week, or once a
month) you and/or Walter can do a little write-up about the current
status of things. Say a list of top 5 projects currently being worked
on, a list of the top 5 current priorities, a short blurb about
"progress this past week/month" (which could be as simple as "we've been
swamped with fixing regressions, haven't been able to work on anything
else", or "Facebook has me on a short leash, I haven't been able to work
on D", etc.). This should be in its own thread, titled something like
"Weekly [or monthly] status update", not buried underneath mountains of
posts in one of our infamous interminable threads about some
controversial topic, like to autodecode or not to autodecode.

Of course, who am I to tell you what to do... but IMO a periodical
high-level status update like the above would go a *long* way in
dispelling complaints of "lack of direction" or "unclear/unknown
priorities". It doesn't have to be long, either. Even a 1 page (OK, OK,
*half* a page), bullet-point post is good enough.

In theory, software is implemented according to the design that has been
carefully worked out beforehand. In practice, design documents are
written after the fact to describe the sorry mess that has gone on
before.