via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 6 16:06:41 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 5 October 2014 at 20:37:18 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> forbidden from advancing at their own level (thus boring the
> shit out of them and seeding quite a few additional problems).

Yeah, I've always wondered if the motivation for keeping kids
locked up in schools is to prevent them from doing mischief in
the streets and teach them to accept hours of pointless boredom
so that they will eventually accept doing boring pointless stuff
when they later join the workforce as bureaucrats. :-/

> Obviously US teachers have no idea what the word "fair"
> actually means. But then, in my experience, there's a LOT that
> US teachers don't know.

The status of teaching has gone downhill. It used to be viewed as
highly skilled work, then you got some idealistic teachers of the
1968-generation, but after the yuppie period in the 80s it has
become the easy path to higher-education when you don't know what
you want to do except that you aren't good with theory and you
want to work with people. I think the same can be said about
psychology, the field you enter if you don't know what to study
and find science too difficult… (or am I being unfair?)

> statement on unions in general, BTW) and the complete and total
> lack of "logic" being part of the curriculum *they* were taught
> as kids (which is still inexcusably absent from modern
> curriculums).

"logic" is theory. Theory does not belong in schools. Too
difficult. You are only supposed to learn things that you don't
have to figure out, otherwise finding qualified teachers will
become impossible.

> US has a few of those too. They're constantly ridiculed (leave
> it to the US to blast anything that isn't
> group-think-compatible), but from what I've seen Montesorri's
> are at least less god-awful than US public schools.

We have a few Montesorri and a few more Rudolph Steiner schools.
Which I believe are better at motivating kids and at least not
killing the fun of learning. Learning that figuring things out
and doing things your own way is fun is a very important lesson.

The government says that the public school system has changed and
is kind of incorporating those methodologies too, but that is not
what I see. And how can a single teacher handle 27 kids in a
class, with only 2 minutes per kid per hour and a rigid plan for
what you are supposed to teach?

Btw, did you know that the majority in Norway voted against
joining EU, so we did not, but since the majority of politicians
were pro EU they got us in the backdoor by signing away our
freedom in treaties instead? And even when the treaties do not
apply we "harmonize our laws to EU" because we "just have to". So
thanks to bureaucratic maneuvers we are now 99% EU regulated,
have shittier consumer laws than we used to, have next to no
control on the borders and are flooded by romanian beggars and
criminals from every corner of Europe and beyond, in return we
get no vote in the EU decision making process since we are
"independent"… You gotta love democracy…

On a positive note: the IOC managed to demand that the norwegian
King ought to hold a party for the IOC leaders and additionally
demanded that he should pay their drinks. It was part of their
7000 page olympics qualification requirements document. It is so
heavily regulated that it explicitly specifies that the personnel
in the hotels MUST SMILE to the IOC leaders when they arrive. I
kid you not, even games and past times are heavily bureaucratic
down to minuscule details these days. So, due pressure from the
newspapers/grassroots and the royal insult the politicians
eventually had to turn down the ~$10.000.000.000 winter olympics
budget proposal. Good riddance. Live monarchy!

I am personally looking forward to Beijing hosting the winter
olympics 2022. I am sure they will mange to fake a smile after
the politicians have demolished their homes to make space for the
ski-jumping event.

In the meantime Norway should not even think about hosting any
sporting event until we can avoid being ranked as the worlds most
expensive country:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp
'Cause, we all know that a $10 billion budget turns into at least
a $30 billion budget before the games are over. That would have
been $6000 per capita. I'd say that royal insult paid off.

Was this off-topic?