Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 7 08:45:04 PDT 2014

On 10/7/2014 7:52 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 10/07/2014 04:55 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On 10/7/2014 5:19 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> In all my years of schooling, I only had one class that actually covered
> any of that stuff (as an actual stated topic anyway, rather than just as
> an implied part of another topic): It wasn't until college, *and* it was
> just an elective. Formal Logic, IIRC, or something along those lines,
> from the Philosophy dept (aiui, logic *is* considered a branch of
> philosophy, at least historically. Which does make sense IMO).

Yeah, my "Introduction to Logic" was branded PHIL 170 (I only know that
because I just happened to find the syllabus in the front of my copy of
Copi & Cohen -- the only book from college somehow managed to hold on to).

> Personally, I think that not presenting it *as* logic may be somewhat of
> a mistake. Makes it sounds almost like some self-help or management
> seminar or something. Less respectable-sounding, and obscures the true
> core nature of the material: logic.
>
> But then again, MANY people seem to be repelled by any mention of logic,
> whereas I've aways been attracted to it, so maybe that's just my own bias.

Formal logic (which is what is typically taught in courses with "Logic"
in the title) and critical thinking aren't quite the same thing, though.
Logic as a means of probing arguments is just one tool in the critical
thinker's toolbox. A lot of people can pick up how to draw a Venn
diagram or call out a fallacy, but they fall short in their ability to
actually understand where an opposing argument is coming from, or in
expressing themselves in a way appropriate for their target audience, or
in getting past their own biases. That takes a lot of hard work that
isn't solved by mapping out truth tables.

---