Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 8 08:06:33 PDT 2014

On 04/10/2014 09:39, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/1/2014 6:17 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> Walter, you do understand that not all software has to be robust -
>
> Yes, I understand that.
>

>> in the critical systems sense - to be quality software? And that in
>> fact, the majority
>> of software is not critical systems software?...
>>
>> I was under the impression that D was meant to be a general purpose
>> language,
>> not a language just for critical systems. Yet, on language design
>> issues, you
>> keep making a series or arguments and points that apply *only* to
>> critical
>> systems software.
>
> If someone writes non-robust software, D allows them to do that.
> However, I won't leave unchallenged attempts to pass such stuff off as
> robust.
>
> Nor will I accept such practices in Phobos, because, as this thread
> clearly shows, there are a lot of misunderstandings about what robust
> software is. Phobos needs to CLEARLY default towards solid, robust
> practice.
>
> It's really too bad that I've never seen any engineering courses on
> reliability.
>
> http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/safe-systems-from-unreliable-parts/228701716

Well, I set myself a trap to get that response...

Of course, I too want my software to be robust! I doubt that anyone
would disagree that Phobos should be designed to be as robust as
possible. But "robust" is too general of a term to be precise here, so
this belies my original point.

I did say robust-in-the-critical-systems-sense... What I was questioning
was whether D and Phobos should be designed in a way that took critical
systems software as its main use, and relegate the other kinds of
software to secondary importance.

(Note: I don't think such dichotomy and compromise *has* to exist in
order to design a great D and Phobos. But in this discussion I feel the
choices and vision were heading in a way that would likely harm the
development of general purpose software in favor of critical systems.)

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros