Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 8 08:14:51 PDT 2014

On 04/10/2014 10:05, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/1/2014 7:17 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> Sean, I fully agree with the points you have been making so far.
>> But if Walter is fixated on thinking that all the practical uses of D
>> will be
>> critical systems, or simple (ie, single-use, non-interactive)
>> command-line
>> applications, it will be hard for him to comprehend the whole point
>> that "simply
>> aborting on error is too brittle in some cases".
>
> Airplane avionics systems all abort on error, yet the airplanes don't
> fall out of the sky.
>
> I've explained why and how this works many times, here it is again:
>
> http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/safe-systems-from-unreliable-parts/228701716

That's completely irrelevant to the "simply aborting on error is too
brittle in some cases" point above, because I wasn't talking about
avionics systems, or any kind of mission critical systems at all. In
fact, the opposite (non critical systems).

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros