What are the worst parts of D?

Jonathan via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 8 12:00:43 PDT 2014

My small list of D critiques/wishes from a pragmatic stance:

1) Replace the Stop the World GC
2) It would be great if dmd could provide a code-hinting
facility, instead of relying on DCD which continually breaks for
me. It would open more doors for editors to support better code
completion.
3) Taking a hint from the early success of Flash, add Derelict3
(or some basic OpenGL library) directly into Phobos. Despite some
of the negatives (slower update cycle versus external lib), it
would greatly add to D's attractiveness for new developers. I
nearly left D after having a host issues putting Derelict3 into
my project. If I had this issue, we may be missing out from
attracting newbies looking to do gfx related work.

I'm sure this has been talked about, but I'll bring it up anyway:
To focus our efforts, consider switching to ldc. Is it worth
people's time to continue to optimize DMD when we can accelerate
our own efforts by relying on an existing compiler? As some have
pointed out, our community is spread thin over so many efforts...
perhaps there are ways to consolidate that.

Just my 2cents from a D hobbyist..