What are the worst parts of D?

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 9 07:46:59 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 9 October 2014 at 14:38:08 UTC, ixid wrote:
> Dicebot wrote:
>
>> Switch to input/output ranges as API fundamentals was supposed
>> to fix it. Custom management policies as you propose won't fix
>> it at all because garbage will still be there, simply managed
>> in a different way.
>

> Would it be impractical to support multiple approaches through
> templates? There seemed to be clear use cases where supplying
> memory to a function was a good idea and some where it wasn't.

Multiple approaches for what? Adnrei proposal is not
fundamentally incompatible with range-fication our using our
array parameters, it simply moves the focus in a different
direction (which is of no use to us).

Looking at
http://wiki.dlang.org/Stuff_in_Phobos_That_Generates_Garbage I
also feel that ranges + reusable exceptions pools (needs
refcounting for exceptions to implement) alone can take care of
majority of issue, new proposal being more of a niche thing.