Make const, immutable, inout, and shared illegal as function attributes on the left-hand side of a function

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 9 10:14:30 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 9 October 2014 at 11:10:47 UTC, Brian Schott wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 October 2014 at 10:29:46 UTC, Johannes Pfau
> wrote:
>> Forgot to some overall I'm for this change. I'd just like some
>> automated way to fix old code ;-)
>
> I said that I wouldn't write dfix until Walter was willing to
> start getting rid of old syntax. Not long after that Walter
> made this
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/4021
>
> dfix is under development. You can find it here:
> https://github.com/Hackerpilot/dfix

This is great news.  Even if it's not going to be packaged with
the official compiler releases, perhaps you can start off by
making it available on dub for any breaking syntax changes in
dmd, such as ditching the old C-style array declaration syntax,
so we can point users who hit it at dfix.

As for moving function attributes from the left to the right, I'm
all for it.  I was frequently confused by what applied to what
and picking through and figuring it out was unnecessary mental
overhead.