Make const, immutable, inout, and shared illegal as function attributes on the left-hand side of a function

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 10 10:15:07 PDT 2014

On Friday, 10 October 2014 at 13:42:14 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

>> (I understand that there's a lot of advocacy lately about
>> "break my
>> code", but I'm the one who bears the brunt of "you guys broke
>> my code
>> again, even though the code was correct and worked perfectly
>> well! D
>> sux.", besides, of course, those poor souls who have to go fix
>> their
>> code base, and I hear again about how D is unstable, another
>> Reddit
>> flame-fest about D being unsuitable because the designers
>> can't make up
>> their mind, etc.)
>
> You need to grow a thicker skin on Reddit I think.

Or read the many Reddit comments about how C++ syntax and gotchas
suck and make everyone want to avoid the language. "There are
only two kinds of languages: the ones people complain about and
the ones nobody uses" is not a joke. This is no way to design a
language.

And for all the supposed concern about breaking code, the most
recent compiler was released with a bunch of regressions. Those
are the code breakages that show up on Reddit, not minor changes
that went through a proper deprecation cycle.