Worse is better?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 10 15:25:12 PDT 2014

On 10/9/2014 5:36 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> Is this the politically correct wy to say "we don't care about
> simplicity anymore!" ?

If simplicity was the overriding goal, we'd settle for the simplest possible
language that was Turing complete.

The problem, however, is that what makes a language simple to comprehend also
tends to make writing programs with it complicated!

For an analogy, when I was younger I had a set of hand tools to do everything
with. I couldn't afford a more complete set. Not having the right tool for each
job meant approximating it with some other tool. I'd get the jobs done, but at
the cost of much extra time invested, and crummy results.

Such as I could never get a square cut on a piece of wood. Now, I have a sweet
miter saw that quickly and accurately cuts wood every time. Of course it is a
far more complex tool than a handsaw, but much simpler to actually get work done
with.

So it's not that we don't care about simplicity anymore. We care about what is
simple for the programmer to get complex work done quickly and accurately. I
like to think of D as a fully equipped machine shop, where the programmer
doesn't have to make do with inadequate (but simple) tools. As professional
programmers, isn't that what we really care about?