Make const, immutable, inout, and shared illegal as function attributes on the left-hand side of a function

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 12 14:58:23 PDT 2014

On 10/12/2014 2:14 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 October 2014 at 19:40:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> Programming languages are always imperfect models, it's like the 2x4's you buy
>> at the hardware store are never straight. You just learn to deal with it,
>> because perfectly straight ones would be prohibitively expensive.
>
> Well... some of them are straight.  If you're building something that's built
> from near full-length boards then you search for the straight ones.  Otherwise
> you just take whatever.  In fact, the last time I was sifting through 2x4s at
> Home Depot, one of the people working there asked me to set the warped ones
> aside so they could take them out.  I'm sure they chip them and make press-board
> or whatever out of them instead.

It turns out that a lot of them can be bent straight if put in a structure in
the right way. For example, triangular bracing can pull them in line. The more
warped ones can be used for shorter sections. It's all about compensating for
the imperfections, and a good carpenter can do that.

> So I guess the point is that you use the proper materials for the job.  With
> physical jobs, the leftovers can almost always be repurposed or remade into
> something suitable for a different job.  So there's very little actual waste.
> Competent builders can even use salvaged materials to create an entirely new
> thing.  I have a set of record shelves that are built from salvaged deck beams.
> Aged wood tends to be really beautiful because colors and textures emerge as it
> ages.

No doubt. People like salvaged wood so much they'll beat a brand new wood floor
with chains. And, of course, people buy brand new jeans that are beaten with
stones and deliberately ripped up.