On Phobos GC hunt

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 14 06:29:32 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 at 07:52:37 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 October 2014 at 21:59:08 UTC, Peter Alexander
>
> Okay,  I think I should go a bit futher with the second version
> of the tool.
>
> Things on todo list:
>  - make tool general enough to work for any GitHub based
> project (and hackable for other hostings)
>  - use Brian's D parser to accurately find artifacts
>  - detect "throw new SomeStuff" pattern and automatically
> populate potential fix line
>  - list all source links in one coulmn for the same function
> (this needs proper parser)
>  - use blacklist of <module-name>:<artifact name> to filter out
> CTFE
>  - use current data from wiki for "potential fix" column if
> present

The new version is out, it's a bit rough for a proper
announcement yet and misses a couple of things from my todo list
but the improvement is so radical I decided to share it anyway.

With the new pattern-matcher/parser I hacked together in on top
of Brain's lexer it's now surgically precise in labeling
artifacts. Also I retained as much as possible of original
comments (line numbers have changed), and grouped source links
per artifact.

Updated Wiki:
http://wiki.dlang.org/Stuff_in_Phobos_That_Generates_Garbage

Tool:
https://github.com/DmitryOlshansky/gchunt

Also it's "universal" as in any github-hosted D project, for
example here is an output for druntime:

http://wiki.dlang.org/Stuff_in_Druntime_That_Generates_Garbage

Still todo:
  - blacklisting of modules/artifacts
  - detect usage of (i)dup
  - label throw new xyz as `EX`
  - a few bugs to fix in artifact labeling