[OT] Ada gems

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 15 03:32:51 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 15 October 2014 at 08:40:04 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 October 2014 at 07:27:38 UTC, eles wrote:
>
> For some reason Microsoft did not make that strategic move
> until much later. I think Bill Gates was the reason, MS pushed
> Visual Basic too much to be taken seriously… So eventually they
> had to create their own incompatible "Java" (C#)  in order to
> keep collecting Windows-tax in the business environment.

An interesting thing for conspiracy theories is how close the new
Window Runtime model is from Ext-VOS.

Ext-VOS was the next architecture of COM, based on the idea that
all Windows languages would target it, as a common language
runtime.

Along the way, they decided to create the CLR instead.

Now the going native wave that hit Microsoft, has made them
create the Windows Runtime, having .NET compile to native code in
Windows Phone 8 and create the .NET Native, the ahead-of-time
native code compiler for .NET.

The main difference with Windows Native Runtime and the old
Ext-VOS, is the use .NET metadata instead of COM type libraries.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dsyme/archive/2012/07/05/more-c-net-generics-history-the-msr-white-paper-from-mid-1999.aspx

Java might as well have been, what made them move away from the
initial design.

--
Paulo