[OT] Ada gems

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 15 07:41:21 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 15 October 2014 at 10:32:53 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
> Now the going native wave that hit Microsoft, has made them
> create the Windows Runtime, having .NET compile to native code
> in Windows Phone 8 and create the .NET Native, the
> ahead-of-time native code compiler for .NET.

Yes, these moves are interesting to watch. Not sure how it will
turn out unless Microsoft truly embrace cross-platform
development.

On a related note I found these notes on the Go roadmap
interesting:

http://dotgo.sourcegraph.com/post/99652962343/brad-fitzpatrick-on-the-future-of-the-go-programming

Go 1.4:
- precise GC for everything
- start of Android support

Go 1.5:
- concurrent GC with marginal pauses (15ms?)
- start of iOS support
- cache-friendly scheduler ("NUMA")
- tracing in browser (Chrome)

And people are working on Go->PNACL and Go->Javascript compilers…

I haven't really looked much at Go in the past two years, but it
looks like D has roughly 18 months to get the GC up to speed or
make programming without GC really comfy.

At some point quality of implementation, programmer productivity,
tools and platform support matters more than semantic details if
both language A and B can do roughly the same things.

IF the Go developers succeed in reaching their goals, which is a
gamble. But neither Google or Microsoft lack resources or the
motivation. So it all hangs on project management and strategic
thinking I think. :)

Competition and choice is a good thing. We'll see.