[OT] Ada gems

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 15 10:10:54 PDT 2014

Am 15.10.2014 um 16:41 schrieb "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>":
> On Wednesday, 15 October 2014 at 10:32:53 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
>> Now the going native wave that hit Microsoft, has made them create the
>> Windows Runtime, having .NET compile to native code in Windows Phone 8
>> and create the .NET Native, the ahead-of-time native code compiler for
>> .NET.
>
> Yes, these moves are interesting to watch. Not sure how it will turn out
> unless Microsoft truly embrace cross-platform development.
>
> On a related note I found these notes on the Go roadmap interesting:
>
> http://dotgo.sourcegraph.com/post/99652962343/brad-fitzpatrick-on-the-future-of-the-go-programming
>

> Go 1.4:
> - precise GC for everything
> - start of Android support
>
> Go 1.5:
> - concurrent GC with marginal pauses (15ms?)
> - start of iOS support
> - cache-friendly scheduler ("NUMA")
> - tracing in browser (Chrome)
>
> And people are working on Go->PNACL and Go->Javascript compilers…

I saw that roadmap. It is also the confirmation that they won't ever add
generics.

So I guess, a better C it is.

> I haven't really looked much at Go in the past two years, but it looks
> like D has roughly 18 months to get the GC up to speed or make
> programming without GC really comfy.
>
> At some point quality of implementation, programmer productivity, tools
> and platform support matters more than semantic details if both language
> A and B can do roughly the same things.
>
> IF the Go developers succeed in reaching their goals, which is a gamble.
> But neither Google or Microsoft lack resources or the motivation. So it
> all hangs on project management and strategic thinking I think. :)
>
> Competition and choice is a good thing. We'll see.

They just got a victory today, as Microsoft is now bringing Docker to
Windows, which uses Go quite heavily.

Although for the time being they are being silent on what languages will
Microsoft be using.

Nick Stinemates from Docker

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8458382
"As a result, it will be a community/maintainer decision what language
it's written in, but obviously we're heavily biased toward Go."

--
Paulo