So what exactly is coming with extended C++ support?

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 15 10:20:17 PDT 2014

On 2014-10-15 08:50, Dan Olson wrote:

> This would allow a D library to be embedded in an otherwise Objective-C
> (or maybe Swift?) iOS app.

Sure, as long as it's using an Objective-C compatible API.

> How about bindings for APIs in the iPhone SDK?  I think folks can build
> those as needed with help from Jacob's dstep tool.  It would be nice to
> have a repository for these bindings somewhere though.

I will create Dub packages when I need some framework, unless someone
else beats me to it.

> Objective-C interop (DIP 43).  Without it, it will be hard to go all out
> "D" in an iOS app.  I have not been following the pull request and don't
> have any idea when it might bubble into LDC via DMD, but not anytime
> soon I would guess.

It needs some refactoring, which I've already started.

> Then there are all the tool related things that might hinder D use on
> iOS.  Things such as no source level debugging

I think I have used Xcode to debug a D application.

> lack of D/Xcode integration.

Yeah, it will be far from as convenient as using Swift but I think it's
possible. Most tools Xcode uses: compiling, build nib files and so on
are command line tools. For example, TextMate is using Ninja as a build
system, completely without Xcode. It still uses nib files and other OS X
specific features.

--
/Jacob Carlborg