Segmented stack

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 16 15:20:32 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 16 October 2014 at 19:46:42 UTC, Shucai wrote:
> I am doing research on segmented stack mechanisms, and in
> addition to academic papers, I am surveying whether segmented
> stack mechanism is still useful on 64-bit machines. On 64 bit
> machines, why  they don’t just use a big enough stack, for
> example, 1GB or even larger?  Are segmented stacks only useful
> for 32 bit machines?  Are there other reasons for segmented
> stacks on 64 bit machines?
>
> Any response is appreciated, thanks, Shucai

You might want to try asking the Go and Rust mailing lists since
they have a lot of experience with segmented stacks.

Rust abandoned them for a few reasons you can read about here[1].
The announcement specifically mentions they believe the MMU can
take care of the stack on 64-bits.

1.
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2013-November/006314.html