Segmented stack

thedeemon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 16 22:46:21 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 16 October 2014 at 22:20:34 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 October 2014 at 19:46:42 UTC, Shucai wrote:
>> I am doing research on segmented stack mechanisms, and in
>> addition to academic papers, I am surveying whether segmented
>> stack mechanism is still useful on 64-bit machines. On 64 bit
>> machines, why  they don’t just use a big enough stack, for
>> example, 1GB or even larger?  Are segmented stacks only useful
>> for 32 bit machines?  Are there other reasons for segmented
>> stacks on 64 bit machines?
>>
>> Any response is appreciated, thanks, Shucai
>
> You might want to try asking the Go and Rust mailing lists
> since they have a lot of experience with segmented stacks.

"Go 1.3 has changed the implementation of goroutine stacks away
from the old, "segmented" model to a contiguous model. When a
goroutine needs more stack than is available, its stack is
transferred to a larger single block of memory. "
https://golang.org/doc/go1.3

So I guess both of them abandoned segmented stacks.