Parallax Propeller Microcontroller

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 17 18:42:37 PDT 2014

On Friday, 17 October 2014 at 18:06:26 UTC, tcak wrote:
> I made some research, though couldn't have found any article
> about it. Is there any work that has been/is being done for
> Parallax Propeller Microcontroller with D Language? Any
> library, linker etc.
>
> As far as I see on wikipedia
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_Propeller), there are
> ports to microcontroller's assembler for C, Java, Pascal,
> Fortran.
>
> Note: For those who don't have knowledge about it, this
> microcontroller is 32 bit, and has 8 cores on it.

I haven't seen any work in this community specifically for this
platform, however, thanks to GCC, I don't think it would be too
far out of reach.

If you have the hardware, I recommend you give it try and write a
wiki about it. Here's how I would a approach it.

1.  Download the Propeller GCC source code [1].
2.  Clone the GDC repository for the specific GCC version that
best matches the GCC version of the PropellerGCC
3   Read and try to understand the instructions for building a
GDC cross-compiler [2].  Ask questions on the D.GNU forum [3] if
you run into trouble.
4.  Adapt the instructions for the Parallax Propeller
5.  If you're successful, post your instructions as a subpage if
the GDC cross-compiler wiki
6.  Make a minimal D runtime as described in the Adam Ruppe's "D
for Kernel Coding" chapter in the "D Cookbook" or similar to the
ARM Cortex-M Hello World on the D wiki
7.  Make a hello world program and post your instructions on the
D wiki
8.  Bask in the pride and admiration of a job well done.

Mike

[1] PropellerGCC: https://sites.google.com/site/propellergcc/
[2] GDC Cross-compiler instructions:
http://wiki.dlang.org/GDC/Cross_Compiler