What's the difference between https://github.com/D-Programming-Deimos/glfw and https://github.com/DerelictOrg/DerelictGLFW3

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 21 02:38:57 PDT 2014

On 10/21/2014 3:41 PM, Edn wrote:

> I'm trying to compile a simple program using D and GLFW. I heard that in
> order to use Deimos GLFW you will have to compile
> https://github.com/glfw/glfw using the digitalmars c++ compiler since
> dmd only supports OMF?

On Windows, when compiling as 32-bit, the compiler makes use of the
OPTLINK linker that ships with it. OPTLINK only supports OMF. So you can
compile a C library with dmc (which also uses OPTLINK) or you can take a
library in COFF format and run it through an object converter (like
coff2omf or Agner Fog's Object Converter[1]) to convert it to OMF.

When compiling with DMD as 64-bit, the compiler makes use of the Visual
Studio toolchain, so you can use 64-bit COFF libraries out of the box
after you install the VS tools.

If you are linking with the import library instead of a static library,
the same idea applies. But in that case you can run a tool like
coffimplib on the DLL to create an import library in OMF format, then
link with it.

Both coff2omf and coffimplib are available, along with other useful
utilities, as part of the Digital Mars Extended Utility Package [2]
which is available for sale at [3].

This problem does not exist on Linux or Mac as DMD uses the GCC backend
for those platforms.

[1] http://www.agner.org/optimize/#objconv
[2] http://www.digitalmars.com/eup.html
[3] http://www.digitalmars.com/shop.html