OT: Minecraft death by GC

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 21 04:21:27 PDT 2014

Am Tue, 21 Oct 2014 07:18:26 +0000
schrieb "ROOAR" <youwants at yahoo.com>:

>   So the latest Minecraft apparently runs really really poorly
> because of the GC.
>
> And it is running on Java desktop. The supposedly "fast" GC of
> Java can't handle the game anymore--
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2jsrif/optifine_dev_minecraft_18_has_so_many_performance/
>
> Take that GC fanatics

Sorry to rain on the parade, but the original code by Notch
seems to be very careful about real-time game requirements.
It is not so much that Minecraft got "so big" that it is
stalled by garbage collection. It is the way the new code was
written (by freshman programmers?) more in terms of buzz words
than with practical considerations in mind.

This code would have become slower in any language.

>   D needs more action you know.

Yes I know, you know, we all know. Fortunately improving the
GC and @nogc is one of the two development focuses right now.

--
Marco