example of pointer usefulness in D

Chris Williams via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 21 12:54:57 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 21 October 2014 at 19:36:50 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 October 2014 at 19:33:14 UTC, Freddy wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 21 October 2014 at 12:22:54 UTC, edn wrote:
>>> Could someone provide me with examples showing the usefulness
>>> of pointers in the D language? They don't seem to be used as
>>> much as in C and C++.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XOR_linked_list
>
> Uhm. That won't work with the GC…

It won't work with the GC, but one could still safely implement
an XOR linked list in D, if they used malloc/free manually, so
that the collector was never aware of the existence of those
allocations.

As to the OP, at the moment, D doesn't support structs as a
reference type so if you want a container that stores references
to structs rather than copies, the container will probably use
pointers.