Blaming the D language

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 22 01:14:23 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 22 October 2014 at 07:46:18 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Ola Fosheim Grøstad:
>> I also want to see string mixins removed from phobos. It is a
>> very ugly feature.
>
> What are your problems with those strings?

1. Source level analysis: Hard to write programs that transform
source.

2. Easy to write ugly code: It suffers from the same issues as
macros.

3. Language integration: It is desirable to have an application
level language that can integrate well with a low level language
when calling out to system level libraries.

4. Uniform conventions: a lambda is more generic.

A lambda allows you to call into another language because it can
be translated to the same intermediate format. An incomplete
string is on a different level.