Library request thread

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 22 03:06:38 PDT 2014

On 22/10/2014 10:07 p.m., ponce wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 October 2014 at 08:25:25 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>> On 22/10/2014 9:13 p.m., ponce wrote:
>>> I feel like we need a NG thread for D users to come and ask for new
>>> libraries/bindings.
>>>
>>> Express your needs! Here are mines.
>>>
>>> 1. A windowing library to replace some of SDL usage. Some programs like
>>> audio plugins are usually done without any dependent dynamic library. It
>>> could also make one less dependency on many small programs. I would
>>> expect it to be based on Win32/X11/Cocoa.
>>
>> I'm playing round (on and off) with DWC [0]. Think e.g. GLFW but only
>> for window / opengl context creation with a feature set identical on
>> all platforms.
>>

> Interesting, it looks like it could fit the bill.

My original goal is to just say stuff it, we may not agree about GUI
toolkits as a community but we should at the very least be able to agree
on how to create a window.
One library where we can put all our focus into for this one small goal.
But with big consequences.

>> Now to expand on what I would like:
>> 1. Media libraries such as png/tiff/jpeg abstracted out into image
>> which would be our go to image library. With conversion support.
>
> https://github.com/callumenator/imaged has image encoders, seems like
> the most promising image library to me.
>
>> Including for 3d models, video files.
>> This could be AMAZING for D to have everything integrated for these
>> libs. Supporting mapping an image to a 3d model that is both freely
>> editable in code is just *drools*.
>
> Abstractions for video files / images and 3D models are wildly different
> though.

Yes but I wasn't meaning one abstraction fits all. Just where it makes
sense e.g. one for image, one for video.