OT: Minecraft death by GC

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 23 13:21:37 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 21 October 2014 at 21:33:43 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Well, some JIT compilers do stack allocation via escape
> analysis, which you can check with something like JITWatch.
>
> For first class support, it is planned for Java 9, but it might
> only really come in Java 10.
>
> --
> Paulo

I'm looking forward to that. The currently proposed stuff for 9,
like Jigsaw, go way over my head in terms of usefulness.

In regard to the Minecraft code, it sounds like new features were
prototyped and never optimized. Writing slow stuff fast is nice
in Java (and D!), but without going full circle it's not so nice
in the long run.
I guess Microsoft has its work cut out for it.