debug = x overrides command line

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 24 06:08:59 PDT 2014

On Friday, 24 October 2014 at 12:45:21 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 10/23/14 3:31 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 10/23/2014 11:40 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>>> "Steven Schveighoffer"  wrote in message
>>> news:m2avtc$15e3$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> What if you leave any other form of debug code enabled by
>>> accident?
>>> The answer
>>> is to use version control, and make a quick pass over changes
>>> before
>>> you commit.
>>
>> Version control has been successful at eliminating such
>> mistakes in my
>> experience with github.
>
> On your own 1-person projects, or just with 2+ reviewers for
> every commit?
>
> In my experience, source control does not stop me from
> committing debug code by accident.
>
> Seriously, the idea of "just avoid committing mistakes" or
> "just use x version control system" is not a very palatable
> answer.

I usually use `git add -p` to review my changes before I commit
them. But this doesn't prevent anything from slipping through by
accident from time to time.

Maybe a hook could reject lines that contain `debug\s*=`? Or are
you thinking about a manual review of every commit before each
release?