D in my trashbin

Meta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 24 06:26:15 PDT 2014

On Friday, 24 October 2014 at 13:04:48 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:42:47 +0000
> Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 24 October 2014 at 02:44:48 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
>> wrote:
>> > I always just use the zip which works fine out of the box
>> > without even needing to be installed.
>>
>> We're missing an installation guide on a prominent place on
>> the front page.
>> Such things really scare away a lot of people.
> if we scaring away people who can't download and run one .exe,
> this
> can't be bad thing. there is clear link do download insteller on
> dlang.org. when i was in need to write simple program on win8
> box, i
> downloaded that .exe, started it, pressed some "next" and
> "finish"
> buttons and... voila, dmd compiler is here and working. if this
> is way
> too hard for someone, then i doubt that he should write
> programs at all.

There are other more subtle problems that someone can run into.
One problem I've encountered on Windows is that having a '+' in
your path trips up Optlink (Notepad++ triggered this issue for
me). Linking starts failing for no apparent reason, and it is
extremely frustrating until you figure out what's wrong (and
still maddening afterword to think that such a stupid bug
exists). Let's try to help debug the problem rather than making
presumptions about OPs technical knowledge.