D in my trashbin

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 24 18:46:39 PDT 2014

On Friday, 24 October 2014 at 12:45:38 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Friday, 24 October 2014 at 10:42:48 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> We're missing an installation guide on a prominent place on
>> the front page.
>> Such things really scare away a lot of people.
>
> All gcc, clang, ldc etc are installed in the same way: download
> zip, unpack, use. Not sure if it's documented anywhere (looks
> intuitive), it's just everything traditionally worked this way
> for ages.

Well then just write that on the download page and add a link to
D.learn saying that this is the place to go when something
doesn't work.
http://golang.org/doc/install

A smooth installation to hello world experience is of utmost
importance for a good conversion funnel. How much time would
someone spend on this after reading a wired article? What's the
first impression someone gets from the D language when even the
very first step is rough.