D's New GC and Object Allocation Pools

Kyoji Klyden via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 25 21:23:31 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 26 October 2014 at 03:37:47 UTC, Maxime
Chevalier-Boisvert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there have been updates regarding Andrei's
> announcement that he would rewrite the D garbage collector. Is
> there any kind of timeline for when a new version of the GC can
> be expected?
>
> I also wanted to ask if there was an implementation of an
> object pool in the standard library. If not, I'm wondering what
> the best way to implement this is. Is there any way to overload
> new and destroy?
>
> I was thinking of using the templated emplace operator from
> std.conv to allocate class objects into a large flat array, and
> to derive pool-allocated classes from a PoolObject base class.
> This base class would contain linked list pointers to implement
> a free list, as well as templated static methods to allocate
> and free the objects. Any advice welcome.

Regarding the GC, the last I heard Andrei didn't have it at the
top of his to do list. He seems to be putting most of his effort
right now into completing the C++ integration. However, work on
the GC is still in high demand it would seem.

(I don't have any helpful answers for your other questions,
though.. sry!)