Dub integrated into the compiler?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 26 20:24:46 PDT 2014

On Monday, 27 October 2014 at 03:15:45 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> On Monday, 27 October 2014 at 03:00:50 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>>
>> Bad for security.
>
> My response to that is that any library you ever download is
> bad for security (including dmd and phobos).

I currently run dmd on a separate user account…

> We need to draw the line somewhere for things we trust and
> things we don't trust, personally I draw the line where it best
> suits me to get things done. If giving up some small about of
> security allowed me to automatically integrate dub packages
> into my projects, I would happily give it up. :)

That's ok for a personal user account, but not for a work account
IMO.

Then again, I prefer to fetch directly from repos manually and
only use dub-like features for languages that run in a VM.

Another point is that if you make fetching libraries too easy it
means bloat starts creeping in. OK for a scripting language, but
for a system level language…? You risk ending up with
Tango-bloat, where you cannot include anything without pulling
inn all kinds of dependencies.

> Also it is why I suggested that it could be policed.

But the D community is too small for that atm.