Dub integrated into the compiler?

Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 26 23:40:50 PDT 2014

On Monday, 27 October 2014 at 04:34:41 UTC, Kyoji Klyden wrote:
> I'm against it. dub already tracks down libraries for you if
> need
> them, and dub already calls dmd for you. So all this seems like
> to me is calling dmd on the command line would just essentially
> be calling dub.
> I much rather have a clean distinction between the toolkit and
> the compiler.

It isn't a big leap from what we have now, but personally I think
it would help greatly with generating a larger user base by just
making things easier.

> Anyways, automating things just for the sake of
> automating them isn't a very good idea.

We are programmers, isn't that what we do? :P

> I'm mainly offset by the
> idea that my compiler is chatting away with some server in hopes
> of finding a missing library or file. Downloading whatever I
> need
> and properly calling it is cleaner, safer, and more organized.

I can definitely understand how some people don't like the idea
of a compiler that connects to the internet but I don't feel that
at all. I have had internet all my life so I am very used to all
of my things being connected to the internet 100% of the time.

Also I think it could definitely be argued that an automated(well
more automated) solution would be cleaner and more organized.

> The idea sounds like in the end it would primarily just help
> hobbyist or someone looking to just quickly prototype something.

That is true. It would get people to play with D more, which is a
good thing. Bring more people to D.

> So instead of fancying up/complicating dmd a better solution
> would be to improve dub in someway, make a new tool, or if we
> really have to do something to dmd then the solution that would
> make the most people the happiest would be to allow plugins to
> dmd or something, so if people want something like this then
> they
> can add it and then grumpy people like me won't be bothered by
> it
> ;P

I am not sure how dub it self could be changed to do what I
proposed, but a new tool like what ketmar suggested or a plugin
system could definitely be an option.