`alias newSymbol = existingSymbol` or `alias existingSymbol newSymbol`

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 28 02:06:18 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 28 October 2014 at 08:59:20 UTC, Mike wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 October 2014 at 08:29:22 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> I see no reason to say anything about the alias syntax in the
>> style guide.
>
> All those that program in D are not required to follow the
> recommendations in the Style Guide.  The Style Guide is for
> contributors to the official D repositories, so the code there
> remains consistent and disciplined.
>
> It would be helpful to let contributors know what the
> recommendation is, so they can have confidence that their
> contribution will pass scrutiny and not have to endure
> controversy and debate.

The style guide is not just for the official repos. It's intended
as a recommendation to the community at large - hence why it has
a separate section at the bottom specifically for the official
repos where the line limit and bracing style are mandated -
something that we don't want to mandate for the community at
large.

Regardless, the old style is perfectly valid, and as long as it
remains so, I see no reason to try and push the newer style on
anyone. Either it should be considered fine to use, or we should
deprecate it. And if it's fine to use it, why create the churn in
druntime or Phobos' diffs by changing from one syntax to the
other?

- Jonathan M Davis