C++ developer choices in open source projects

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 28 23:01:43 PDT 2014

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 21:37:45 -0700
Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> 3. Inheritance and polymorphism are widely used
>
> It's my impression that D uses a lot more parametric polymorphism (i.e.
> templates) than virtual inheritance.
this is true at least for my case. i tend to write templates that
accepts entities that can do what i need instead of building class
hierarchies. my data reading primitives, for example, works with
any entity that has appropriate rawRead() method.

the only disadvantage is a size of a compiled binary, but i can live
with that. and if i want really small binary, i have to drop Phobos
anyway, and in this case i'd better use open()/read()/close() directly.

easy parametric polymorphism is one of those things that i absolutely
love in D.