Trivial (but not bikeshed please) question of style…

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 29 00:46:57 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 at 02:00:20 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
>> I don't think recipient.send(mail) is that unintuitive. It's
>> how I would
>> visualize it from a contact application for instance.
>
> Totally. It's actually how OOP started - calling a method was
> sending a message to an object etc. -- Andrei

Incorrect, the message passing terminology comes from Smalltalk,
but this applies there too.

OOP started with Simula67 which focused on Object Oriented
Modeling for simulation. You have a world of objects,
representing aspects of their real world counterparts (abstract
or concrete). These objects have methods which represent
actions/events of the object.

Coherent and sensible naming is considered an important aspect of
modeling. D has a lot to learn from other areas of CS.