C++ developer choices in open source projects

Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 29 09:15:11 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 at 14:58:39 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:

> Hopefully those companies then go to the wall. C++14 is the
> only C++ in 2014.

Our current target platform is almost a decade old, so if current
trends continue, C++14 will be the only C++ in 2024.

In all honesty, we're close to pushing through the use of a newer
compiler, so C++14 will become a reality fairly soon, but I think
most large companies are in the position where legacy code or
legacy systems have them working a decade or more behind current.
  Most C++ programmers I meet today still aren't comfortable with
templates and the STL, if they understand/use them at all, and
that stuff has been around for 20 years.