What IDE/EDITOR do you use for D?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 29 15:06:23 PDT 2014

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 14:32:23 -0700
"H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I used to be a fan of the ancient Norton Editor
me too! ;-) that's why i started using mcedit on GNU/Linux. there is
also "ledit" project, which seems to be very similar to NE, but i
discovered it too late.

> pico, until my supervisor at my first job convinced me to try vi. It
> took a lot of convincing, but after I finally "grokked" the "philosophy"
> behind vi (which is very different from a non-model editor, I have to
> say), I found myself much more productive in it, and operate on a
> "higher level of abstraction", if you can call it that, than the typical
> character-oriented approach of NE, pico, and the like. In vi/vim, I
> operate more with lines and words, and ironically enough the awkward
> character navigation interface forces me to think more semantically
> (e.g., "go to the place in the file where the word 'cartesianProduct'
> occurs", which equals to searching for the said word).
i understand vi philosophy (heh, i was using some Forth systems with
editors that has similar spirit), but i simply don't have enough temper
to make myself familiar with vim. i clearly see that editing with vim
will be more productive than with mcedit, but... when i want to write
something, i don't want to think about editor commands, so i'm dropping
vim and going back to mcedit to "make the things done". i know that i
simple have to do some training (as with D, for example, which wasn't
familiar at all when i started with it), but... my lazyness stops
me. ;-)

> Yeah, I rarely ever use interactive debuggers these days. More often
> than not, I find clever, directed use of printf-debugging actually more
> effective. Especially if you have debug logs placed at strategic places
> that allow you to narrow down the locus of the problem after the crash.
and integrated command console, it simply rocks! ;-) i was writing
command console modules in each language i was using. it was a pain in
pascal/delphi, hairy mess of macros in C, tricky abomination in C++ and
hacky to write but very easy to use module in D. actually, simple
embeddable command console was the first poject i done with D, just to
see if it will help me writing such things without much boilerplate
code. and after that project i was never thinking about returning back
to c/c++ again. ;-)

metaprogramming rocks. i know that, 'cause i was using Forth and Scheme
alot, and even Smalltalk a little. ;-)